WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor - West Phoenix
The WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor (BFPC) is an amazing position that helps to assist mothers who wish to breastfeed and succeed with their breastfeeding goals. As a BFPC, you will serve as a role model, peer counselor, and support person for pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers. The BFPC will be able to provide resources within a defined scope of practice. They assist professionals, but licensing or credentials as healthcare, nutrition, or lactation consultant professionals is not needed. Services are provided in clinic, through text, email, Zoom, or over the phone.
Every Adelante employee will strive to maximize their performance and contribution to Adelante Healthcare and the community we serve every day. Employees are expected work in a manner that demonstrates a commitment to quality, patient safety, employee engagement, innovation, and the highest standards of personal integrity, professionalism and competence.
OUR CORE VALUES
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or GED from an accredited institution
- Experience with breastfeeding. Must have had success in breastfeeding at least one baby for a least 6 months (does not have to be currently breastfeeding)
- Must have reliable transportation
- Must possess a valid Arizona Drivers License
- Bilingual in both English and Spanish strongly preferred
- Certification to perform cardiopulmonary Resuscitation for the Health Care Professional (CPR) and AED through courses that follow the guidelines from the American Heart Association and Red Cross (cognitive and skills evaluations)
- Valid Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card issued by the Arizona Department of Public Safety for all specialty behavioral health locations
The qualifications listed above are intended to represent the minimum skills and experience levels associated with performing the duties and responsibilities contained in this job description. The qualifications should not be viewed as expressing absolute employment or promotional standards, but as general guidelines that should be considered along with other job related selection or promotional criteria.
- Attends and successfully completes breastfeeding training classes to become a Peer Counselor
- Receives an assigned caseload of WIC mothers and makes routine and periodic contacts with all mothers assigned.
- Gives basic, accurate, and up to date breastfeeding support and education to new mothers, including telling them about the benefits of breastfeeding, overcoming common barriers, and getting a good start with breastfeeding
- Counsels WIC pregnant and breastfeeding mothers by telephone, the WIC clinic, and/or hospital visits at scheduled intervals determined by the Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Supervisor
- Flexible work schedule, determined by community supervisors and Breastfeeding Coordinator
- Shows respect to each mother by keeping her information strictly confidential
- Keeps accurate records of all contacts made with WIC mothers
- Attends and assists with prenatal classes and breastfeeding support groups
- Attends monthly staff meetings and breastfeeding conferences/workshops as appropriate
- Reads assigned books and materials on breastfeeding that are provided by the Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Supervisor and displays an understanding of the concepts presented in those materials
- May assist WIC staff in promoting breastfeeding peer counseling through special projects and duties as assigned
- Must be able to embrace differences among people and able to interact with internal staff as well as external contacts in a culturally competent and respectful manner
- Promotes positive patient/guest relation in accordance with Adelante Healthcare and ADHS WIC policies, providing a high level of quality in personal attention and service to patients and visitors
- Travel to multiple locations as needed or requested
- Must be able to work a set schedule
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- Other duties as requested or assigned
All employees are responsible for promoting and participating in interdisciplinary communication and collaboration to enhance the delivery of quality across the health care system. Employees should maintain an environment which supports and engages patients and co-workers in a caring team based model to promote wellness and improve health outcomes.
Adherence to Compliance and Code of Conduct
All employees are required to comply with Adelante Healthcares and ADHS WIC written standards, including its Compliance Program and Standards of Conduct, policies and procedures and reporting of any conduct that potentially violates Adelantes and ADHS WIC legal or compliance requirements. Such compliance will be an element considered as part of the regular performance evaluation.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit for long periods of time, is required to stand, walk, use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb steps/stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; smell; manage stress as it relates to essential job functions. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds without assistance, and may occasionally be required to lift or move up to 50 pounds with assistance. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time when traveling to various clinic sites. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The employee may be subject to health hazards (contagious diseases, blood borne pathogens, etc.) when working in the clinic area.
In any organization or job, changes take place over time. Although an effort will be made to keep job-related information current, this is not an all-inclusive list of job responsibilities. Adelante Healthcare, Inc. reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the business need arises. In compliance with EEOC 29 CFR part 1630, if the essential functions of this position cannot be performed in a satisfactory manner by the employee, further accommodations shall be made if it does not constitute undue hardships upon this organization.