Medical Assistant Vaccine Coordinator - Buckeye
The Medical Assistant Vaccine Coordinator is an entry-level leadership role, responsible for all vaccine management activities, including the monitoring and implementation of emergency vaccine management plans. Provides training, mentoring and guidance to Medical Assistants and other clinical and non-clinical staff. The Medical Assistant Vaccine Coordinator will meet all the expectations outlined in the roles for Associate Medical Assistant, Medical Assistant and Senior Medical Assistant. The Medical Assistant Vaccine Coordinator will have maintained the highest level of professionalism and performance by receiving exceeds or greater on annual performance appraisals and remain free of any active formal disciplinary process.
Every Adelante employee will strive to maximize their performance and contribution to Adelante Healthcare and the community we serve every day. Employees are expected work in a manner that demonstrates a commitment to quality, patient safety, employee engagement, innovation, and the highest standards of personal integrity, professionalism and competence.
OUR CORE VALUES
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Certification to perform cardiopulmonary Resuscitation for the Health Care Professional (CPR) and AED through courses that follow the guidelines from the American Heart Association and Red Cross (cognitive and skills evaluations)
- Valid Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card issued by the Arizona Department of Public Safety for all specialty behavioral health locations
- High school diploma or GED from an accredited institution
- Graduation from an approved medical assistant training program with three or more years experience
- Minimum one year of supervisory or leadership experience in a medical office team and/or approved development plan
- Demonstrated ability in implementing the principles and practices of supervision
- Ability to multi-task and work effectively in a high stress and fast-moving environment
- Effective communication demonstrated by ability to read, interpret, comprehend and comply with written and verbal communication
- Proficient mathematical skills for use in a healthcare setting
- Ability to problem solve in situations both independently or with support from team and/or leadership
- Advanced computer efficiency to include Windows, MS Office and Patient Management System (electronic medical record)
- Must have reliable transportation that can meet any operational reassignments of the organization during the workday. If employee is driving during work hours, the employee is required to possess a valid drivers license and must be in compliance with Arizona vehicle insurance requirements
NONESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Ability to communicate in more than one language
The qualifications listed above are intended to represent the minimum skills and experience levels associated with performing the duties and responsibilities contained in this job description. The qualifications should not be viewed as expressing absolute employment or promotional standards, but as general guidelines that should be considered along with other job related selection or promotional criteria.
- Maintains patient confidentiality following all HIPAA policies and procedures
- Documents accurately all patient information in electronic health record
- Communicates in a timely and professional manner with patients and other members of the care team at all times
- Know and follows the eight rights of drug assessment and administration
- Follows all medication policies and procedures for labeling, storing and use
- Knows and utilizes principles of universal protocols and National Patient Safety Goals
- Can accurately identify medications and their indications for proper utilization
- Review and update VFC and VFA operation guide in an annual basis
- Ensure staff working administering VFC/VFA vaccines complete the annual AIPO trainings
- Use Proper Storage equipment (refrigerator/freezer units) properly with DDLs.
- Ensure calibration of DDLs is performed every two years and prior to expiration date
- Ensure Optimal Operations of Storage Units
- Perform re-calling for all ages to increase immunization rates
- Perform annual VFC/VFA enrollments
- Attend conferences and training provided by VFC/VFA
- Handle all ASIIS new staff enrollments and inactivation
- Perform transfers or transportation of vaccines
- Ensure Historical of vaccines are completed in ASIIS & in NextGen
- Ensure immunization schedules are updated every year
- Ensure VIS revision is up to date and communicated to all staff
- Ensure upload of DDLs are perform at least weekly
- Keep track of DDLs reports and have those available as needed
- Maintain track of inventory in NextGen to ensure billing is perform property
- Review crystal and immunization reports to ensure compliance with VFC/VFA/AHC requirements
- Ensure MAs bill for vaccines appropriately in NG.
- Provides staff training on VFC Guidelines, proper storage/handling and vaccine administration
- Notify Immunization Service (VFC/VFA) immediately of any changes in key staff (Primary or Backup Vaccine Coordinator).
- Check and record temperatures twice daily (beginning and end of each clinic day) for every vaccine storage unit and record Min/Max temperatures each day (clearing the min/max each day after reading)
- Ensure refrigerator temperatures are within acceptable ranges.
- Maintain freezer temperatures below 5 degrees Fahrenheit (-15 degrees Celsius)
- Take immediate action if temperatures are not within appropriate ranges.
- Ensure that when Vaccine stock arrives that the packing slip matches the contents and that the internal temperature of the shipping container is at the appropriate temperature range from the vaccine contained within. Also ensure stock gets stored in appropriated refrigerator/freezer and the order has been received in ASIIS (making sure the packing slip also matches the ASIIS statement) as soon as it appears
- Perform inventory and stock rotation at least weekly as recommended by VFC/VFA
- Ensure all expired vaccine is removes from storage unit upon expiration date
- Ensure that all staff utilize the Waste Log Report as instructed
- Train and/or ensure training is provided for staff on vaccine management/storage and handling as needed (quarterly at a minimum).
- Review and perform Reminder/Recall for children and adolescents who are not up to date on all recommended vaccines
- All other duties as assigned (such as translation and travel to other locations)
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as VFC/VFA subject matter expert for Associate Medical Assistants and Medical Assistants and Senior Medical Assistants
- Primary contact for VFC/VFA programs
- Responsible for reviewing Vaccine Adverse event Reporting System (VAERS) and EHR documentation
- Ensure uniform implementation of all practices and protocols at assigned center
- Perform tracers and spot checks to ensure staff are knowledgeable of their responsibilities and maintain constant compliance with vaccine management requirements
- Ensures emergency vaccine management plans are implemented
- Reviews and analyzes temperatures data at least weekly for any shifts in temperature trends
- Conducts weekly documentation audits of 111 forms
- Maintaining all documentation, such as inventory and temperature logs
- Oversees proper vaccine transport (when necessary)
- Oversees emergency preparations, including plans for ensuring safety of vaccines during emergencies
- Ensuring appropriate handling of vaccines during disaster or power outage
- Participates in regulatory reviews, audits and process improvement projects
- Completes communication circle with patients and other customers
- Participates in ordering of supplies and inventory management
- Member of and required to attend committee or work group meetings
- Initiate request for maintenance of equipment and facilities as needed
- Perform other duties as requested or assigned
All employees are responsible for promoting and participating in interdisciplinary communication and collaboration to enhance the delivery of quality across the health care system. Employees should maintain an environment which supports and engages patients and co-workers in a caring team based model to promote wellness and improve health outcomes.
Adherence to Compliance and Code of Conduct
All employees are required to comply with Adelante Healthcares written standards, including its Compliance Program and Standards of Conduct, policies and procedures and reporting of any conduct that potentially violates Adelantes legal or compliance requirements. Such compliance will be an element considered as part of the regular performance evaluation.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit for long periods of time, is required to stand, walk, use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb steps/stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; smell; manage stress as it relates to essential job functions. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds without assistance, and may occasionally be required to lift or move up to 50 pounds with assistance. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time when traveling to various clinic sites. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The employee may be subject to health hazards (contagious diseases, blood borne pathogens, etc.) when working in the clinic area.
In any organization or job, changes take place over time. Although an effort will be made to keep job-related information current, this is not an all-inclusive list of job responsibilities. Adelante Healthcare, Inc. reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the business need arises. In compliance with EEOC 29 CFR part 1630, if the essential functions of this position cannot be performed in a satisfactory manner by the employee, further accommodations shall be made if it does not constitute undue hardships upon this organization.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Reference #: 62376