Dental Hygienist - Mesa
The affiliated dental hygienist performs professional dental care in the field of dental hygiene including all related clinical procedures. The affiliated dental hygienist will assist the doctor in promoting dental health by completing dental prophylaxis; providing oral cancer screening, radiographic studies; charting conditions of decay and disease; performing procedures in compliance with the dental practice act. Has broad responsibilities for clinical and community dental health education activities. The affiliated dental hygienist will also identify services and procedures to be provided then direct patients to the affiliated dentist for diagnosis, treatment or planning that is outside the dental hygienist's scope of practice. Consult with the affiliated practice dentist before initiating further treatment on patients who have not been seen by a dentist within twelve months of the initial treatment by the dental hygienist and patients presenting with a complex medical history or medication regimen. Inform patients in writing that the dental hygienist providing the care is a licensed dental hygienist and that the care does not take the place of a diagnosis or treatment plan by a dentist. Approaches his/her tasks in a team based care fashion that supports patients and their families in self-management, self-efficacy and behavior change.
Primarily responsible for the direct provision of oral hygiene and appropriate preventive services to dental patients of the center, and providing appropriate oral health information to individuals and groups. Will perform assignments which requires knowledge of the principles and practice of modern oral hygiene and periodontal patient care. Must be cognizant of the public health, social and economic factors which impact on the overall health and the oral health of patients. Will require the ability to creatively solve problems through individual and/or programmatic action. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Dental Director.
OUR CORE VALUES
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
* Graduated from an ADA accredited school of dental hygiene, held an active license as a dental hygienist for at least 5 years and have been actively engaged in dental hygiene practice for at least 500 hours in each of the two years immediately preceding the affiliated practice relationship
* Hold a bachelor's degree in dental hygiene, have held an active license for at least three years and been actively engaged in dental hygiene practices for at least five hundred hours in each of the two years preceding the affiliated practice relationship.
* Completed 12 hours of continuing education. A minimum of 4 hours in medical emergencies and a minimum of 8 hours in at least two of the following: pediatric or other special health care needs, preventative dentistry or public health/community based dentistry.
* Current BLS or ACLS
* High School Diploma or GED
* Valid and Active Arizona license to practice Oral Hygiene
* Demonstrated understanding of dental methods and techniques.
* Excellent interpersonal and written communications skills required.
* Ability to perform assignments requiring considerable exercise of independent judgement.
* Valid and Active Arizona Driver’s License
* Intermediate competencies in Microsoft Office Suite and Windows Operating System
* Competency in dealing with people of various cultures
* Commitment to AHC mission, vision, and values
NONESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
* Three years of experience in community health.
* Interest and knowledge of current trends in dental care
* Bilingual (English/Spanish)
The qualifications listed above are intended to represent the minimum skills and experience levels associated with performing the duties and responsibilities contained in this job description. The qualifications should not be viewed as expressing absolute employment or promotional standards, but as general guidelines that should be considered along with other job related selection or promotional criteria.
* Responsible for personal compliance with all applicable federal, state, local and center rules, regulations, protocols and procedures governing the practice of dental hygiene and the clinical provision of dental hygiene services as well as those relating to, but not limited to, personnel issues, work place safety, public health and confidentiality
* Provide clinical oral hygiene services including dental prophylaxis, scaling, sealant application and fluoride application consistent with accepted professional practices and standards and in compliance with applicable state law and the center’s clinical protocols
* Obtain baseline oral hygiene assessment data based upon accepted principles of oral hygiene and periodontal care. Assist in the oral health management of all clinic patients
* Perform independent procedures as delegated and directed by a dentist in accordance with state regulations and law as well as Dental Department protocol and directives
* Record patient-hygienist transactions in the patient’s dental record as they occur to assure the dental record accurately and completely reflects the nature of the contact, the condition of the patient, and the care or treatment provided
* Provide oral health education and appropriate individual counseling for all center dental patients. Organize and perform preventive oral health presentations at on-site and off-site locations
* Provide technical assistance and health education in the community as requested
* Integrate appropriate patient dental hygiene care with other health care professionals involved in the patient’s health care management
* Participate in the PI program of the Dental Department of the center
* Assist in the maintenance of all Dental Department areas in compliance with Dental Department directive and policies as well as center policies and procedures relative to infection control, exposure control and safety issues
* Ensure the proper disposal of all contaminated or potentially contaminated materials in accordance with Dental Department directive and center policy as well as state and federal regulations(s). Assure compliance with the Health Center’s Exposure Control Plan
* Assist with various clinical and administrative functions of the Health Center as appropriate and time permits
* Perform other duties as required, including travel when necessary to meet operational needs
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
* Other duties as requested or assigned
All employees are responsible for promoting and participating in interdisciplinary communication and collaboration to enhance the delivery of quality across the health care system. Employees should maintain an environment which supports and engages patients and co-workers in a caring team based model to promote wellness and improve health outcomes.
Adherence to Compliance and Code of Conduct
All employees are required to comply with Adelante Healthcare’s written standards, including its Compliance Program and Standards of Conduct, policies and procedures and reporting of any conduct that potentially violates Adelante’s legal or compliance requirements. Such compliance will be an element considered as part of the regular performance evaluation.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.