This position is cross-trained to perform all duties of the Front Office Assistant and back office Medical Assistant role. Under the direction of Front Office Supervisor, Medical Assistant Supervisor or designee, this position provides direct customer service to patients. Duties include, but are not limited to: Check-In and check-out of patients via EPM, verifies insurance eligibility, provide cashier services. Schedule and confirm patient appointments. Answer incoming phone calls. All clerical activities, office supply maintenance and scanning of medical records. This position provides direct patient care. Duties include, but are not limited to: assisting providers during preparation and provision of patient visit, interviewing patient and obtaining reason for visit, room preparation, specimen collection and processing, medication administration, documentation in electronic health record and patient discharge. Facilitates communication between internal and external customers.
OUR CORE VALUES
* Greets all patients and offers assistance with questions, or directs them to appropriate person or location
* Responsible for answering the phone, greeting callers, establishing the reason for call and resolving issues or referring to appropriate person
* Maintains and distributes patient documentation in an organized manner
* Accurately enter all patient demographics and all other required information into practice management system
* Obtains patient registration information and enter into computer system
* Identifies financial status of patients regarding sliding fee scale, insurance or discounts. Refers to eligibility as needed.
* Verifies third party payer coverage and billing information - insurance, etc.
* Assists with the correction of billing information as needed
* Prepares financial batch daily for processing
* Accurate handling of cash drawer and daily receipts
* Schedules patient appointments for medical providers via computerized EPM
* Scans documents into electronic health record
* Knowledge of and participates in Adelante UDS measures, meaningful use metrics and other quality initiatives by assisting with audits and other data collection
* Maintain appropriate level of office supplies, medical forms at work station
* Prepares for the patient appointment by reviewing and updating patient records prior to patient arrival
* Interview patient to obtain reason for visit: chief complaint, and document in electronic medical record following MA workflow protocols for intake of patient
* Obtain and record the patients’ vital signs according to protocol for patients age
* Prepare exam room and patient for the type of exam/procedure to be performed
* Maintains patient confidentiality following all HIPAA policies and procedures
* Documents accurately all patient information in electronic health record
* Communicates in a timely and professional manner with patients and other members of the care team at all times
* Know and follows the eight rights of drug assessment and administration
* Know and follows procedure for immunization administration and storage
* Follows all medication policies and procedures for labeling, storing and use
* Knows and utilizes principles of universal protocols and National Patient Safety Goals
* Cleans and sterilizes instruments per protocol
* Has knowledge of surgical and diagnostic office procedures
* Correctly collect specimens, perform testing, and processes as indicated.
* Provides clear instructions to patients regarding obtaining and collecting of specimens.
* Reviews patient plan and educates patient on discharge instructions
* Can accurately identify medications and their indications for proper utilization
* Works independently and uses critical thinking skills to solve issues under pressure
* Mentor to the Associate Medical Assistants
ADDITIONAL POSITION REPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL
* All other duties as assigned (such as translation and travel to other locations)
All employees are responsible for promoting and participating in interdisciplinary communication and collaboration to enhance the delivery of quality across the health care system. Employees will maintain an environment which supports and engages patients and co-workers in a caring team based model to promote wellness and improve health outcomes.
Adherence to Compliance and Code of Conduct
All employees are required to comply with Adelante Healthcare’s written standards, including its Compliance Program and Standards of Conduct, policies and procedures and reporting of any conduct that potentially violates Adelante’s legal or compliance requirements. Such compliance will be an element considered as part of the regular performance evaluation.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit for long periods of time, stand; walk; use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb steps/stairs; balance; stoop; kneel; crouch or crawl; talk or hear; smell; manage stress as it relates to essential job functions. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds without assistance, and may occasionally be required to lift or move up to 50 pounds with assistance. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time when traveling to various clinic sites. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The employee may be subject to health hazards (contagious diseases, blood borne pathogens, etc.) when working in the clinic area.
In any organization or job, changes take place over time. Although an effort will be made to keep job-related information current, this is not an all-inclusive list of job responsibilities. Adelante Healthcare, Inc. reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the business need arises. In compliance with EEOC 29 CFR part 1630, if the essential functions of this position cannot be performed in a satisfactory manner by the employee, further accommodations shall be made if it does not constitute undue hardships upon this organization.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
* High school diploma or GED from an accredited institution
* Graduation from an approved medical assistant training program with two or more years of experience
* Current CPR certification
* Electronic Health Record experience
* Two or more years of front office experience preferred
* Effective communication demonstrated by ability to read, interpret, comprehend and comply with written and verbal communication
* Proficient mathematical skills for use in a healthcare setting
* Basic computer proficiency to include Windows, MS Office, and internet
* Ability to problem solve in situations both independently or with support from team and/or leadership
* Ability to multi-task and work effectively in a high-stress and fast-moving environment
* Must have reliable transportation that can meet any operational reassignments of the organization during the workday. If employee is driving during work hours, the employee is required to possess a valid driver’s license and must be in compliance with Arizona vehicle insurance requirements
NONESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
* Certified Medical Assistant is preferred
* Ability to communicate in more than one language