Medical Assistant (Family Medicine) - Central Phoenix
The Medical Assistant provides direct patient care and assist all patients and their families through the healthcare system by acting as a patient advocate. Duties include but are not limited to: assisting providers during preparation and provision of patient visit, interviewing patient and obtaining reason for visit, room preparation, specimen collection and processing, medication administration, documentation in electronic health record and patient discharge. The Medical Assistant will work with patients to develop self-management goals, provide insurance, referral, and prior authorization support, and may also conduct patient outreach to follow up on hospital admissions and discharges, obtain medical records and assist patients with pharmacy/medication questions. The Medical Assistant has successfully met all the requirements and expectations of the Associate Medical Assistant position and has advanced training that is demonstrated by successful completion of a continuing education program concluded with a passing score on an Adelante designated skills exam and written test. If applicable, will be completed during probationary period.
Every Adelante Healthcare employee will strive to maximize their performance and contribution to Adelante Healthcare and the community we serve every day. Employees are expected to work in a manner that demonstrates a commitment to quality, patient safety, employee engagement, innovation, and the highest standards of personal integrity, professionalism, and competence.
OUR CORE VALUES
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Certification to perform cardiopulmonary Resuscitation for the Health Care Professional (CPR) and AED through courses that follow the guidelines from the American Heart Association and Red Cross (cognitive and skills evaluations)
- Valid Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card issued by the Arizona Department of Public Safety for all specialty behavioral health locations
- High school diploma or GED from an accredited institution
- Graduation from an approved medical assistant training program with one or more years’ experience
- Has one or more years as a medical assistant
- Effective communication demonstrated by ability to read, interpret, comprehend and comply with written and verbal communication
- Proficient mathematical skills for use in a healthcare setting
- Basic computer proficiency to include Windows, MS Office, and internet
- Ability to problem solve in situations both independently or with support from team and/or leadership
- Ability to multi-task and work effectively in a high-stress and fast-moving environment
- Must have reliable transportation that can meet any operational reassignments of the organization during the workday. If employee is driving during work hours, the employee is required to possess a valid driver’s license and must be in compliance with Arizona vehicle insurance requirements
- Prepare for the patient appointment by reviewing and updating patient records prior to patient arrival
- Interview patient to obtain reason for visit: chief complaint, and document in electronic medical record following MA workflow protocols for intake of patient
- Obtain and record the patients’ vital signs according to protocol for patients age
- Prepare exam room and patient for the type of exam/procedure to be performed
- Maintain patient confidentiality following all HIPAA policies and procedures
- Document accurately all patient information in electronic health record
- Communicate in a timely and professional manner with patients and other members of the care team at all times
- Know and follows the eight rights of drug assessment and administration
- Know and follows procedure for immunization administration and storage
- Follow all medication policies and procedures for labeling, storing and use
- Know and utilizes principles of universal protocols and National Patient Safety Goals
- Cleans and sterilizes instruments per protocol
- Has knowledge of surgical and diagnostic office procedures
- Correctly collect specimens, perform testing, and processes as indicated.
- Provides clear instructions to patients regarding obtaining and collecting of specimens.
- Review patient plan and educates patient on discharge instructions
- All other duties as assigned (such as translation and travel to other locations)
- Can accurately identify medications and their indications for proper utilization
- Work independently and uses critical thinking skills to solve issues under pressure
- Coordinate continuity of patient care with external healthcare organizations and facilities such as referrals to outside specialties and ongoing two-way communication between providers.
- Promote clear communication among the care team and treating clinicians by ensuring awareness regarding patient care plans
- Facilitate patient care based upon approved standing orders and protocols.
- Works collaboratively with the clinical team in data collection, health outcomes reporting, clinical audits, and programmatic evaluation.
- Assist in clinical care by providing utilization of resources, and development of new clinical tools, forms, and procedures.
- Act as a mentor to the Associate Medical Assistants
- Use excellent customer service and communication skills
- Will perform patient outreach calls as needed
- Meeting UDS & Quality-based measurements
NONESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Certified Medical Assistant preferred.
- Ability to communicate in more than one language
- Electronic Health Record experience
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- Other duties as requested or assigned
Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH)
All employees are responsible for promoting and participating in interdisciplinary communication and collaboration to enhance the delivery of quality across the health care system. Employees should maintain an environment which supports and engages patients and co-workers in a caring team-based model to promote wellness and improve health outcomes.
Adherence to Compliance and Code of Conduct
All employees are required to comply with Adelante Healthcare’s written standards, including its Compliance Program and Standards of Conduct, policies and procedures and reporting of any conduct that potentially violates Adelante’s legal or compliance requirements. Such compliance will be an element considered as part of the regular performance evaluation.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit for long periods of time, is required to stand, walk, use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb steps/stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; smell; manage stress as it relates to essential job functions. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds without assistance and may occasionally be required to lift or move up to 50 pounds with assistance. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time when traveling to various clinic sites. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The employee may be subject to health hazards (contagious diseases, blood borne pathogens, etc.) when working in the clinic area.
In any organization or job, changes take place over time. Although an effort will be made to keep job-related information current, this is not an all-inclusive list of job responsibilities. Adelante Healthcare, Inc. reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the business need arises. In compliance with EEOC 29 CFR part 1630, if the essential functions of this position cannot be performed in a satisfactory manner by the employee, further accommodations shall be made if it does not constitute undue hardships upon this organization.