Front Office Check-Out Assistant
Primarily responsible for maintaining an accurate charge and payment posting system for the site and for the patients financial records. As primary point of exit for patients, will ensure EHR Patient Plan has been printed, and understands his/her financial responsibility to the site for services rendered. Work is performed under general supervision of Practice Administrator or Front Office Supervisor.
- Maintain strict confidentiality of patient information at all times.
- Collect patient monies, issue receipts, and may participate in patient financial counseling with supervisor.
- Post all payments received according to patients bill-to code daily.
- Explains patient payment plan agreement or insurance to patients and maintains tracking of the payment plans.
- Explains potential collection process if payment plan is not completed.
- Post all charges to the encounter in the EHR (Electronic Health Record).
- Review charges with patient, indicating total charge and adjustments performed by site, and patients financial responsibility. Works with provider and clinical support staff to complete and submit charges to the superbill/encounter.
- Make patient appointments as they leave the site and generate Patient Plan if applicable.
- Perform close of day procedures. Run daily transaction journal, payment register and deposit slip reports required. Balance reports prior to forwarding to finance department as required.
- Reconcile all lab and referral services with the patients final superbill.
- Submit daily payment, deposit register and reconciled daily deposit slips to finance department as required.
- Travel to and from designated bank to make deposits and/or change for cash drawer.
- Assist with answering the phone and with coverage for the front office during meals and breaks.
- Takes messages and or sends tasks to practitioners regarding patient questions, concerns or comments.
- Notifies finance of any delays in charge capture.
- Cross-train with other front office staff to assist with duties as needed.
- Interact courteously with patients and co-workers.
- Other duties as assigned.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities.
- All other duties as assigned (such as translation and travel to other locations)
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or GED from an accredited institution
- Bilingual (Spanish/English)
- Computer skills (Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel)
- Ability to deal effectively with clients, associates, and the general public in person and by telephone.
- Medical billing and coding
- Knowledge of medical insurance and ability to communicate insurance information to patients
- Basic computer efficiency
- Cash handling skills and knowledge of other payment systems (i.e. debit and credit cards)
- Commitment to AHC mission, vision, and values
- Competency in dealing with people of various cultures
NONESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduation from an approved training program
- Patient Management System
- Valid AZ drivers license