Behavioral Health Medical Assistant
Provides direct and indirect care in the behavioral health setting in both clinic and procedures components in unison with the Behavioral Health providers and the program manager. Behavioral Health Medical Assistant is motivated to provide patient care continuity that reflects initiative and responsibility indicative of professional expectations directed toward meeting both the psychological and physical needs of the patient in a productive, efficient manner. The Behavioral Health Medical Assistant has the ability and desire to be part of a high-intensity, fast-paced environment working in concert as a valued and integral member of a team in providing effective quality care. The Behavioral Health Medical Assistant communicates effectively on behalf of the patient and the physician reflective of Adelante Healthcares mission and values as well as the scope of service of the department.
Every Adelante employee will strive to maximize their performance and contribution to Adelante Healthcare and the community we serve every day. Employees are expected work in a manner that demonstrates a commitment to quality, patient safety, employee engagement, innovation, and the highest standards of personal integrity, professionalism and competence. Will be a professional role model and participate in community events that promote good health and contribute to greater awareness and understanding in the communities we serve.
OUR CORE VALUES
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Prepares patient records and supporting documentation in a timely manner, for all patients scheduled at the clinic for Behavioral Health. Directs patient care movement from the waiting area, Behavioral Health office and checkout.
- Provides care prior to Behavioral Health providers visit with patient including health systems review, recording vitals, medication reconciliation. Assists the medical providers clinic visit as needed with direct patient care.
- Provides necessary educational information, and obtains necessary information or consent to provide recommended therapies.
- Documents appropriately in the patients electronic medical record all pertinent information in accordance with clinic-wide policy and procedures.
- Prepares all chart records and supporting documentation for all patients scheduled in a timely manner.
- In the event that the EMR is not accessible, BHMA will submit all paper chart records and patient documentation for scanning following clinic day.
- Communicates patient care results and responds to inquiries in a timely manner. Takes initiative and responsibility for meeting patient needs in a productive, efficient manner. Shows ability to perform in a high-intensity, fast-paced environment.
- Acts as a valued and integral member of a team in providing quality, effective care.
- Maintains all regulatory requirements and adheres to all clinic policies and standards.
- Supports and participates in common teamwork:
- Cooperates and works together with all co-workers; plan and complete job duties with minimal supervisory direction, including appropriate judgment.
- Uses tactful, appropriate communications in sensitive and emotional situations.
- Follows up as appropriate with supervisor, co-workers, or patients regarding reported complaints, problems, and concerns.
- Promotes positive public relations with patients, family members, and guests.
- Completes requirements for in-service training, acceptable attendance, uniform and dress codes including personal hygiene, and other work duties as assigned.
- Performs various duties to provide quality care to patients to maintain or attain the highest practical level of functioning and to coordinating care for patients.
- Collect weight and height of patients and document in appropriate fields within the electronic health record and report collected data to the patients provider for examination.
- Escort patient to exam room and initiate the patient check-in process. This includes verifying demographic information, emergency contacts, next of kin, preferred pharmacy, HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices, income level, medical release forms, etc., and documenting in the correct fields within the patients electronic health record.
- Ensure that all signed paperwork is properly labeled and scanned into the patients electronic health record with the correct document name and in the correct document folder.
- Register the patient for the patient portal, if applicable. Provide education as to the use of the system, highlight what communication can be made via the portal, and the access the patient will have to their health information. Provide the patient with instructions on how to utilize the system and generate a passcode that allows for initial access.
- As applicable, review the Adelante Healthcare New Patient Welcome Packet and have the patient sign the Receipt and Acknowledgement Form.
- Provide the patient with the following documents and review each:
- Patient-Centered Medical Home Letter and Agreement
- Adelante Healthcare Mission Statement
- After hours telephone number
- Present the Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) tool to qualifying patients and assist them in completing modules. Explain the purpose of the assessment, the importance of honest responses to questions, and how their responses will be kept confidential.
- Other duties may be assigned to meet clinic needs.
- Answer and refer telephone calls or other inquires to ensure accurate and timely communications are facilitated.
- Assist patients, family members, or other clients with concern and empathy; respect their confidentiality and privacy and communicate with them in a courteous and respectful manner.
Perform tasks which are supportive in nature to the essential functions of the job, but which may be altered or redesigned depending upon individual circumstances. May require travel (no overnight) to other Adelante Healthcare Centers. May also be required to attend job-specific training sessions
- Demonstrate sound judgment by taking appropriate actions regarding questionable findings or concerns.
- Investigate and follow through on unusual orders or requests for service or information.
- Follow proper reporting procedures for actual or potential accidents and/or incidents so follow-up and/or prevention can occur.
- Record/report the need for service maintenance or repair of equipment and remove any faulty equipment from service.
- Consistently evaluate work and determine if further steps are needed to meet patient expectations.
- Take initiative to do or redo inadequate or incomplete work, even if it is not yours.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory standards.
- Consistently demonstrate ability to respond to changing situations in a flexible manner in order to meet current needs, such as reprioritizing work as necessary.
- Minimize non-productive time and fill slow periods with activities that will enable you to prepare to meet the future needs of the patients and Adelante Healthcare (education, organizing, housekeeping, assisting others).
- Organize job functions and work area to be able to effectively complete varied assignments within established time frames.
- Consistently demonstrate ability to take the initiative to make decisions/choices without direct supervision.
EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Certified Medical Assistant preferred.
- High school diploma or GED from an accredited institution
- Ability to communicate in more than one language
- Electronic Health Record experience
- A minimum of one year's experience in Behavioral Health is highly preferred.
The qualifications listed above are intended to represent the minimum skills and experience levels associated with performing the duties and responsibilities contained in this job description. The qualifications should not be viewed as expressing absolute employment or promotional standards, but as general guidelines that should be considered along with other job related selection or promotional criteria.
All employees are responsible for promoting and participating in interdisciplinary communication and collaboration to enhance the delivery of quality across the health care system. Employees will maintain an environment which supports and engages patients and co-workers in a caring team based model to promote wellness and improve health outcomes.
Adherence to Compliance and Code of Conduct
All employees are required to comply with Adelante Healthcares written standards, including its Compliance Program and Standards of Conduct, policies and procedures and reporting of any conduct that potentially violates Adelantes legal or compliance requirements. Such compliance will be an element considered as part of the regular performance evaluation.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit for long periods of time; stand; walk; use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb steps/stairs; balance; stoop; kneel; crouch or crawl; talk or hear; smell; manage stress as it relates to essential job functions. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds without assistance, and may occasionally be required to lift or move up to 50 pounds with assistance. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time when traveling to various clinic sites. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The employee may be subject to health hazards (contagious diseases, blood borne pathogens, etc.) when working in the clinic area.
In any organization or job, changes take place over time. Although an effort will be made to keep job-related information current, this is not an all-inclusive list of job responsibilities. Adelante Healthcare, Inc. reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the business need arises. In compliance with EEOC 29 CFR part 1630, if the essential functions of this position cannot be performed in a satisfactory manner by the employee, further accommodations shall be made if it does not constitute undue hardships upon this organization.