Advocacy Programs Manager
Represents Adelante Healthcare in advocacy, education, outreach, and grassroots efforts focused on a variety of federal, regional, state, and local initiatives geared to support and sustain Adelante Healthcare services. The Advocacy Programs Manager will identify advocacy priorities and develop and execute advocacy action plans as well as engage key communities and special populations. They will represent Adelante in key coalition and stakeholder groups on a local and state level and develop strategic relationships and partnerships that advance Adelantes health equity efforts.
Every Adelante Leader will strive to maximize the performance and contributions of each team member for Adelante Healthcare and the community that we serve every day. Leaders will set clear performance expectations, provide on-going feedback and coaching to improve results and outcomes and provide regular performance evaluations. Leaders are also expected work in a manner that demonstrates a commitment to quality, patient safety, employee engagement, and innovation and to act as a model for all employees on highest standards of personal integrity, professionalism, and competence.
OUR CORE VALUESd
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelors degree in Business Administration, Public Health, or a closely related field and minimum of 5 years of experience developing, leading, and managing projects both as an individual and as a member of a team.
- Minimum of 5 years of previous experience in a public service area with experience in public policy advocacy and/or planning and executing grassroots community engagement programs and services.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to develop effective partnerships and alliances with a variety of institutional, healthcare, nonprofit, and grassroots partners.
- Experience executing small- or large-scale grassroots issue campaigns such as the National Association of Community Health Centers (NACHC) grassroots campaigns.
- Demonstrated understanding of health policy as it relates to public health and primary care programs.
- Commitment to human rights principles and the fight for dignity and respect of all people regardless of their personal histories or backgrounds
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with little direct supervision in the efficient, timely, and thorough completion of tasks.
- Knowledge of Community Health Centers: the basic structure of a CHC, the services, the mission, their role as community healthcare providers and funding sources.
- Skills in social media strongly desired: web postings, Facebook and Instagram Live, Twitter, and other social media tools engagement tactics and tools.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple tasks, assignments, and projects to meet established quality and time requirements.
- Strong communication skills and ability to present information in a manner that is understandable to health policy makers and leaders.
- Strong event coordination skills.
- Ability to use intermediate or advanced functions and features of the MS Office suite including Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, or similar spreadsheet and/or database programs.
- Flexibility to travel regularly in-state and out-of-state for meetings, trainings, etc. is required.
- Strategic thinking with the ability to translate vision and strategy into actions and results.
- Evidence of valid Arizona drivers license and current auto insurance
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Prioritization and multi-task skills are required
NONESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Demonstrated experience as an Advocate for Health Care or Human Rights.
- Fluency in a language in addition to English (Spanish preferred).
- Attend and/or assist in organizing Town Hall events hosted by Adelante Healthcare, health centers, and/or external community organizations.
- Manage and direct, in collaboration with the marketing and community engagement and community outreach, development teams, the coordination of national health center week events and visits with lawmakers and other public officials.
- Organize and manage local advocacy outreach activities. Collaborate with local community-based organizations, the Arizona Alliance for Community Health Centers (AACHC) and the National Association of Community Health Centers (NACHC) to build and broaden the local, state, and national health center advocates in order to inform and educate public policy makers on critical issues that impact the sustainability of Adelante Healthcare as well as Community Health Centers.
- Organize and manage the internal Adelante Healthcare advocacy, volunteer, Health Equality Index, and other programs in support of advocacy and health equity efforts.
- Work with the board of directions, leadership, as well as internal and external stakeholders to recruit advocates and allies who will help educate healthcare, business, community partners, and lawmakers, on the value of the healthcare services Adelante Healthcare provides to the communities it serves.
- Provide analysis and disseminate current information on federal and state healthcare rules and regulations, updates on new services, updates on new programs and public health advancements, and other relevant news through newsletters, media posts (AACHC Website, Facebook, Twitter, Linked In, etc.) and create other education and communications materials such as infographics, fact sheets and flyers.
- Identify and coordinate with key community health center champions who will engage in outreach and education efforts with lawmakers, healthcare, business, and community partners to establish and implement successful grassroots issue campaigns; collaborate with organizations working on key healthcare issues.
- Serve as Adelante Healthcares liaison on grassroots, local, state, and federal advocacy issues.
- Support Adelante health center staff, patient, and community advocates and allies to participate in:
- PCA/NACHC Advocate Network
- Advocate Center of Excellence (ACE)
- Hispanic Grassroots Advocacy
- National Community Health Center Week Events
- Grassroots Advocacy Training
- Assist with internal marketing efforts, AACHC and NACHC story banking and ensure a prompt response to media requests for interviews or healthcare stories.
- Assist with internal and external voter and voting initiatives.
- Participate in meetings, committees and activities coordinated by partner healthcare, human service and non-profit organizations with a common mission and purpose.
- Attend the AACHC COMET (Community Outreach Marketing & Education Team) to update, plan and organize Adelante Healthcares role in local and state health related initiatives, activities, and events.
- Works collaboratively with internal stakeholders on common projects, programs and activities as directed by the Chief Strategy Officer or Chief Executive Offer.
- Meet regularly with the Marketing, Outreach, Community Development and leadership teams to discuss potential outreach opportunities
- Represent Adelante Healthcare through a variety of community resources to increase awareness and promote support for comprehensive, sustained community programs
- Prepare other written documents, plans, or proposals on behalf of Adelante Healthcare as needed.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs other duties as requested or assigned
All employees are responsible for promoting and participating in interdisciplinary communication and collaboration to enhance the delivery of quality across the health care system. Employees should maintain an environment which supports and engages patients and co-workers in a caring team based model to promote wellness and improve health outcomes.
Adherence to Compliance and Code of Conduct
All employees are required to comply with Adelante Healthcares written standards, including its Compliance Program and Standards of Conduct, policies and procedures and reporting of any conduct that potentially violates Adelantes legal or compliance requirements. Such compliance will be an element considered as part of the regular performance evaluation.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit for long periods of time, is required to stand, walk, use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb steps/stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; smell; manage stress as it relates to essential job functions. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds without assistance, and may occasionally be required to lift or move up to 50 pounds with assistance. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time when traveling to various clinic sites. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The employee may be subject to health hazards (contagious diseases, blood borne pathogens, etc.) when working in the clinic area.